This spring I attended a baby shower only to find out that I would get showered with flowers myself. My aunt brought along several African Violets. Reluctantly, because I tend to forget to water plants, I took a couple home. M jokingly asked me "what have those flowers done (to deserve a slow death from you)." Ever the comedian. I decided I had to prove her wrong. What better proof than all these flowers and buds? I guess they like the rainwater I'm feeding them and the northeast window they are in to get a bit of early morning sunlight. My mother and grandmother both loved African Violets and always had several varieties in their care. I'm sure these are decendents from one of Grandma's plants As they are kind of finicky (the plants, not mom or grandma) I wasn't sure I'd ever see them bloom. So, each time I water them, turn them, and admire their blooms I think of mom and grandma. Some things we just don't appreciate about our loved ones until they are gone.
You'll notice I liked this picture enough to add it to my side bar profile.

1 comment:
Oh,I love African Violets! I bought a couple for my sewing room because I have a great window for them, but the mice who invade our house from time to time (one of the perils of country life) love to dig in the dirt and chew on the leaves. So, alas, I may have to take them to work! I used to be in a building that had a great western facing window and my violets LOVED it! Everything I've always read said eastern exposure! Go figure! Good luck with your violets!
Post a Comment