Monday, December 17, 2007

Laundry and sewing don't mix

I'm not a beader but a few years back when I was purchasing beads for a Girl Scout project I couldn't resist picking up a couple of boxes of beads in colors that I love. I've used most of them to make beaded bookmarks to give people a "little something" for Christmas. Last year at Christmas, after making a bookmark for a friend I got the great idea to make a long string of beads to hang my thread cutting scissors from since I'm always looking for my scissors when I need to cut threads. I love it and wear it almost all the time when I'm sewing and can be found wearing it as I wander around the house in between or after sewing sessions. Or, you can probably guess, as I was tossing a load of laundry into the wash machine today. When I bent down to pull clothes out of the bottom of the hamper either the scissors or the string of beads caught on the edge of the hamper and beads were flying everywhere. I just stood there and groaned for a second before I found the ends and pulled the strand off. The hemp cording that I had used to string the beads had pulled apart and broken. Now I have a partial strand of beads, broken cord, a big handful of loose beads and a scissors. I'm so bummed. I am busy trying to get my Christmas projects done and don't have time to sit down and figure out how to re-bead it. Maybe on Christmas day again while the kids are playing. I'm not an expert beader but I did have some symmetry to the design I made. Hope I found all the big beads as my last round of bookmarks has diminished my supply of these beads. The moral of this story? Don't do laundry while sewing of course. LOL.

No comments: