Friday, February 01, 2008

Ottobre Hippie Style Blouse 4/2005 #17

I just finished making the Hippie Style Blouse for K. I had several "design opportunities" with this blouse from not enough fabric to cutting the front, not the back, to put the zipper in. It's done and I think it looks fantastic. K decided she doesn't like the elastic at the ends of the sleeves and is upset I didn't leave it all flared out instead. It fits very well but she wouldn't let me take pics so here the floor is wearing it. The pattern stated 21cm of elastic at the sleeve ends but my elastic didn't stretch enough. After basting and then stitching it on the elastic is all stretched out. I hope it shrinks back a little more. Will have to go try a big puff of steam.

I made this in a size 134 which fits perfectly in the shoulders. Wish I had gone up one more size for growing room. My mistakes made it a smidge narrower, but not that much. I can't remember where I got the main batik fabric, JoAnn's perhaps. The fabric at the neckline and sleeve ends I pulled from my quilting stash. Couldn't believe I had enough yardage in a complementary fabric. I just barely had enough of the two fabrics to face the points at the hem. I remembered someone else not cutting the points on either this or another Ottobre shirt so I traced the points onto the back of the fabric and stitched them before cutting away the excess fabric. It worked like a charm. I was nervous about it but it lies very nicely.



No comments: