Tuesday, July 07, 2009

Ottobre 1/08 #31 "Ball" Vest part deux



After having this sit cut out and then partially finished for a couple months I finally got it completed. Now after sitting on my camera for a couple months I finally downloaded the pictures so that I can blog about them. This is the same pattern I used to make K's vest only I sized this one up one size from a 170 and then ended up taking it in about 1/2" inch on both sides. It's still a little baggy but she's ok with it.

I used a twill polka dot fabric from Sewzanne's on the outside and a white linen that someone gave me on the lining. I didn't have enough linen to line the hood so used self fabric. If the linen weren't a bit see through this could easily have been double sided but didn't want to waste the snap parts as I don't think she'll wear it that way. For the elastic on the hood, I just cut apart hair elastics and sewed them to a regular elastic. Looks great and I can use whatever color matches this way. Probably way cheaper too. Guess you can't really see the toggles and elastic so you'll have to believe me that they're there. She's not gathering the hood anyway so I could probably have omitted those. The bottom fronts are even. Not sure why they look uneven in the picture.

I'd have to say these vests are probably the most challenging projects that I've done. The woven fabrics were much easier than the stretch fabrics to sew and get the lining even and such. This is the first pattern that I've done that's been fully lined and that was the hardest part of it for me. I think I figured out how to master it now so maybe lined projects will be easier for me in the future.

No comments: